Ohio Concussion Requirements for coaches
Return to Play - Ohio's Youth Concussion Law
As of April 26, 2013, Ohio’s Return-to-Play law (ORC 3313.539 or ORC 3314.03) requires that Ohio youth athletes who are suspected of sustaining a concussion, MUST be removed from practice or play. Ohio laws prohibit a child to return to play (practice or competition) on the same day that he/she is removed on suspicion of having sustained a concussion. He/she may return the following day if cleared in writing by a physician (MD or DO) or other authorized healthcare provider that they did not sustain a concussion.
Online Concussion Management Training
Per ORC 3707.52 as enacted by Ohio HB 143 of the 129th General Assembly, ODH is required to post free training programs that train coaches and referees in recognizing the signs and symptoms of concussions and head injuries.
The three following free online trainings have been approved by ODH for coaches and referees:
1. National Federation of State High School Associations Concussion in Sports - What you Need to Know:
This free on-line course is available through the NFHS. You will need to click the “order here” button and complete a brief registration form to take the course. Follow these steps to complete the course:
Click on the button that says, "please login to order." In the window that appears, click "Register Now".
- When your registration is complete you may "order" the free concussion course offered along the left hand side of the page. Continue following prompts. Although it may look like you'll be charged for the course, there is no cost.
- Once you have completed "checkout," you'll be able to take the free online course.
- When you have completed and passed the course, you have the option of printing a certificate of completion.
2. National Alliance for Youth Sports (NAYS) Concussion Training:
This free online course is available to all coaches and parents. To register, pass the course and obtain a certificate of completion you will need to follow these steps:
- Click the “Sign Up” button and complete the brief registration form to create a free account.
- From your account you will want to select the “Go to clinic” link to begin.
- On the overview page you will need to select the “I want a certificate for this training” button to satisfy the Ohio law and obtain a certificate of completion.
- Answer all of the exam questions for each section. When complete, an “Access Your Certificate” link will appear under the More Resources tab for easy printability of your certificate.
Existing NYSCA coaches and PAYS parents can also add concussion training for free to their existing account.
3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Heads Up Concussion in Youth Sports Training:
CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION:
All three training courses offer a certificate of completion upon successful passage.
- NAYS chapters can track coaches who have completed the course and are members of the NYSCA. To find your own certificate of completion, log in to your free account again, click on the “Go to clinic” link for Concussion Training and select the “Access Your Certificate” link.
- The CDC course does not allow you to search for or track course completion. In order to print your certificate of completion, use the print button found within the training. You will not be able to print the certificate using your tool bar or keyboard, and will be unable to return later to search for your certificate.